Without advertising your garage sale, it is very unlikely that you’ll get much business. If you’re not particularly business-minded in the first place, you may be a bit clueless on where to start. Jenny Dean’s newest book “The Couponing Stockpile Garage Sale: A How to Guide” gives some great advice on how to get your yard sale out there and attract as many people as possible.
Jenny’s Tips for Advertising
- Place an advertisement in the paper. This is a great way to get people interested, but it can also be expensive. If you don’t have much of a budget or would rather go the free route, this is not the best option for you.
- Make some signs and flyers. This may require you to spend a few bucks if you don’t have any poster boards handy, but it’s still rather inexpensive. Grab some markers and write in big letters. Make sure you put all the details of your garage sale on the signs, like date, time, and any big items you think will attract people. Put these signs and flyers in places where you know people will see them.
- Put an ad on Craig’s List. Utilizing Craig’s List is free so there’s really no reason not to try it out. This is especially a good idea if you live in a big city where people frequently check the site. Try to include some pictures of the items you have for sale.
- Post on Facebook. Use your own Facebook to inform your friends and acquaintances about your garage sale. Your community might also have a page dedicated to advertising garage sales in the area, which is often the case for smaller towns and cities. Ask friends if they know of such a page or do a search for one.
- There are specific websites like garagesalehunter.com that specialize in advertising for garage sales. Sign up and list your garage sale. Jenny provides links to more of these sites in her book too.